Brookfield, Stainton with Hemlington, and Hilton Church Family (Plurality)


Updated: 12th July 2024

You can find out about our Safeguarding at these links: Stainton, Hilton and Brookfield

Our Parish Safeguarding Rep is Bob Ardley - contact details here.

The York Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) is Rob Marshall - contact details here.

You can find our contact details at the bottom of the page.

Welcome to all

We offer a very warm welcome to all who visit our website.

Please have a look at the links in the menu below (click on the three bars to open the menu) to see what is going on in the three Parishes in our Plurality (*)

St Peter and St Paul, Stainton with Hemlington

St Peter, Hilton

St Margaret of Scotland, Brookfield


(*) A Plurality is "Church-of-England-speak" for a group of Parishes - a Family of Churches - that shares a Vicar or Priest-in-Charge. For more details please see the Church Staff tab.

History of St Peter & St Paul's Church


Stainton Church was the original Parish Church of Middlesbrough.

An archaeological survey in the year 2000 as a precursor to the building of a meeting room extension to the church found artefacts which indicate that the site was a burial ground as early as the 7th century. Items of stonework, now built into the walls of the Church Room are of Christian design from the 10th century. In 1119 the Church at Stainton and its lands were given to the newly established Guisburg Priory by Robert de Brus of Skelton. The lands were extensive, stretching from the southern boundary of the present parish north to the River Tees and east to west from Marton to Yarm.. The present church is built on mediaeval footings.  There is a continuous record of Vicars of Stainton from 1247 when Will de Boltby was succeeded by Roger de Chesterton, to the present day; 50 Vicars so far and many (mostly forgotten) Curates. Parish Registers from 1551 onwards are held in the Middlesbrough Borough Archives. In 1133 Middlesbrough became a separate parish. By 1308 in the Parish of Stainton there were Chapels of ease at Thornaby and Acklam. With the expansion of trade and industry Thornaby became a separate parish in 1844 and Acklam in 1866 . Brookfield became a new parish in 1988 , Hemlington in 1993, and Ingleby Barwick in 2000. Our much smaller parish is now part of a group (a plurality) with Hilton and Brookfield churches. In 2019 Hemlington Church was declared unsafe and was eventually closed formally for Public Worship on 26th January 2021 and on 1st March 2021 Stainton and Hemlington parishes were reunited as one Parish, part of the Benefice of Stainton with Hemlington and Hilton.

click here to download the list of vicars since 1247



Click here to download  "A Short History of Stainton Church"


Page last updated: Monday 1st March 2021 8:34 AM
Powered by Church Edit